New Year {Undignified}

(via Pinterest)
It always astounds me how although the world changes very little throughout a year, I find that everything seems so different, because it is I who have changed. Things don’t mean what they once meant to me. Stars, last year, just meant beauty and confusing orbits to me … this year I look at stars and I see all that is hope and constancy. On the coldest, darkest, stillest night, when all seems lost, that is when we see stars most clearly. I love how our God worked that out. Many other things have been transformed in my eyes this year - rest, Christmas, making things with my own hands, advent, lent, books, hot tea, water, church, friendship, and so much more … I’m not who I was.
I just picked up an old journal, curious about what my thought life was at this time last year. I could not believe what I found. Was that only last year? I wrote a total of 3 entries in 2012 … each one more depressed than the last. I was afraid to write; afraid of what feelings might arise in me if I dared to be honest, and afraid of what new wounds I might create by faking contentment through my pretty blue pen. So I kept quiet. The silence that I spoke of in yesterday's post.
And then my January dawned. Because of the dare of a friend, I have been writing in my journal daily since January 13th, 2013. That wasn’t her dare, exactly, though. She knew I was breaking in pieces, and that as the writer I am, I needed to put the pain I cradled onto paper. She suggested I write out my fears … this friend tends to know where the roots of my problems are. So I started writing, in a very sarcastic tone, saying she was “the only reason I {was there}, ok?” and then writing “I AM AFRAID …” above a surprisingly long list. I remember crying a lot. I have a nasty habit of living in fear.
Another part of her advice was another journal … a prayer journal. Not the kind that you list requests and praises in. There’s a time and a place (and other journals) for that. This was for the David-style prayers. The groans of a desperate, aching heart. For tear-stained pages; tears of sorrow, joy, conviction, anger … so long as this was a place that I was real. And then she suggested Psalms. Her advice was dead on, of course. She’s like that. When a person pours out their fears and hopes and guts onto paper with no filter, then takes them to the Throne Room, and then waits, in the midst of the prayers and praises of another soul, for a response from their Maker … something happens. Always.
Today, I wrote little in my journal. It was sounding too much like a blog post, and so I came here. This is yet another journal for me. One where I not only spill my heart on the floor, the paper, and the altar … but I spill it onto a display for all to see, hoping that someone, somewhere, will feel something when they see it, and that this soul-changing experience might spread. There’s always the risk of poor reception, no reception, or something else I’m afraid of … we’ve established already that the list is long. The things God calls us to sometimes look foolish to others. Remember David dancing wild in the streets … in his unmentionables? (2 Samuel 6) Do I dare cry out alongside him, “I will become even more undignified than this”? More undignified, wild, foolish-looking, real, open, than even this?
I decided that I wanted to join those who name their years before they start … a resolution of sorts. To put all your hopes, dreams, and goals for the new year into one word, and then you name it that. It seemed like the reckless kind of thing that I’d like. A whole year to reflect on and ponder just one word. The pressure was on to choose a great one. I wanted something long, extravagant, and beautiful … something that made me go “ohhhh,” just  thinking about it. But He had other plans. Just “bird.” I thought it was silly. I thought I’d spent too much time on this blog and it was warping my perspective. So I sought Him … I did the classic “flip and point” with the Bible, only with my app, to make it harder to know where I’d end up. I opened my eyes, and found my finger resting on that ridiculous word again: bird. I admit … it’s growing on me.
This is my Year of the Bird, then … or Bird Year? Maybe it’s time for me to get a little more undignified. Let people think that I have this strange obsession with my feathered friends. Let them think that I love wildly; that I accept too many people. Let them say that Lydia is a Jesus Freak. Let them shout that I laugh far too loud, and my hugs are too tight. They may call me emotional, flighty, sensitive, too friendly …. If I do this all for Him, then it is all more than worth it. I will become even more undignified than this. This baby bird will jump from the nest until she finally flies. Though people may see me fall, I will fix my eyes on He Who believes I can soar.

Comments

  1. So... Wow. I'm not gonna say anything cliche like I'm positive you expect when I DO make an appearance these days. I am gonna say I love how God does that.. The bird thing.. (can you hear my grin?) It's funny because you mentioned reading old entries and seeing how far you've come.. And it's funny because I was just doing the same thing a few days ago. As far as encouraging and always knowing what to say, I think it's safe to say that as your friend I've come up short. I didn't always know what to say to you, how to fix all of you problems.. and believe me, I wanted to. I wanted to know the right words to try and save you from the things I struggled with. I'd had it in my head that there were things I could protect you from. Brutal truth: I never could. And I wasn't supposed to. I look at this post, and I know the things we went through and still go through were/are not just God doing a miracle with a bad situation. It's supposed to happen, because God loves us too much to leave us the way we are. We were supposed to be knocked out of our shells so God could do more in the both of us. I'm not saying I did everything right by disappearing, but I wasn't supposed to hold on to the idea of protecting you, even though it was purely because I didn't want you to get hurt. There came a time where He told me to let go.. 'Cause it's a God-thing, not a Robin/Lydia thing. Anyway, I said all these things because I looked at this post and God's just like, ' ;) See? And I'm not done yet.' And with that comes the realization that I need to trust more, worry less about you. Because it's not about what the enemy is trying to do, it's not even about what I could TRY to do, but It's about what God's doing. And that's always bigger than how we see things. (Guess my ramblings haven't changed. Thanks if you've read this much, Sweetheart.) So, on other things, JUST NOW found the Hart Christmas Letter in my mailbox. VERY MUCH ENJOYED IT, especially the picture=) Read the whole thing and it just made me smile.. because the Harts are still awesome, and you're still one of the best friends I've ever had, (and Darlin', I'm talkin' besides Jesus) and your parents are doing the best with what they have.. I love them for that. I also feel like I know your sisters a little better, and I laughed that I must fall into Caleb's category of, 'Weird Acquaintances'. I smiled at the overall idea that you sent me one of these in the first place. Thank you+D and you're a beautiful, beautiful poet. Thanks for THIS PAGE, it's freakin' DANDYLOUSOME, Sweetheart+) Keep up the awesomeness!!! *not that you have to try.* Love tou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back, girlie. xxx. You're still far too sweet.

      Delete
    2. *shakes head* the 'too' in that sentence is still not true. Sweetheart, I gotta tell you I've been convicted. We just shouldn't be stubborn with things like this when the person doing the complimenting is truly sincere. And I really mean it when I tell you you're amazing, okay? +) <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

May this place be a home and a haven.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ann {Coffee for Your Heart}

You're Not Alone {Coffee for Your Heart}

Endings