Enough {Coffee for Your Heart}

(via Holley Gerth)
      
(via Pinterest)          
Hello, you. A new year has dawned, and as Anne (with an ‘E’) once said about tomorrow, it is “always fresh, with no mistakes in it.” That’s all well and good, yes, but you’ve been thinking lately about the mistakes that have scarred your yesterdays, your today … and you can’t help but wonder how you’ll screw up this brand-new, just-opened box of 364 tomorrows. You’ve already marred some of the contents. Every year, you make promises - to God, to others, to yourself - about how much better you’re gonna be this year; how much harder you’ll try. You say you’ll eat better, exercise more, make more time for prayer and Scripture … and before even a minute of the new year is gone, you feel like a failure. You’d probably don’t want to admit it, but it’s true. You feel like you’re not good enough, content enough, healthy enough, smart enough, pretty enough, ________ (you fill in the blank) enough, brave enough, organized enough … enough … to make this year what you feel it needs to be. If this isn’t you, please, tell us your secret! But I have the feeling that there is something inside each of us that whispers, “not enough.”
I wish I could get inside of you and strangle that voice give that voice a talking to. Because it’s dead wrong. Sure, we’re not enough. We never will be. There is always a nugget of truth in the best lie. What that voice forgets to tell you is this: you and I don’t have to be enough. There. I said it! You and I do not have to be enough, because He. Is. Enough. For. Us. We do not have to earn His grace by trying to climb this impossibly high mountain called “Sufficient,” because He already climbed it. And He climbed it while carrying a cross. He paid the debt we could never afford. He suffered the pain we could never endure. He lived the life we could never attain to - blameless in every way. All to offer us this crazy thing called grace. And it is enough. It is sufficient. And it means we don’t have to be. He died the most painful, humiliating death, because He knew we would never be able to be enough on our own.

So the next time that voice tries to tell you you’re not enough, you tell it, “I don’t need to be. He is.” And then you just leave that stupid voice alone. You do not need those lies. Go instead to the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). Tell Him that you know you aren't enough, and then ask Him to be enough for you. We can’t do a single thing that’s worth anything in this life on our own, but praise be to God … we are never on our own.

Comments

  1. Thank you.
    No matter how many times I am reminded that Christ is enough, every time I hear it, it comes as a shock to me, like it's the first time I've ever heard it. And it's just like you said, constantly constantly those voices fill my head pushing all else out of the way.
    Christ is enough.
    So, thank you for the reminder :)
    ~kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful for His grace, that this would touch your heart. Your words have just flooded me with sunshine on a rather stressful morning {these button things are hard!}. Thanking God for you today, sweet Kylie. He is always enough - even for this crazy blogger who has no idea what she's doing.
      All my love,

      Delete
  2. Lydia, Those "not enough" voices were prevalent for a long time in my head and I still battle them some days. But I do rely on God now more than ever and to know I am complete in Him is enough.
    Visiting from the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and amen! Love your perspective, Sarah! Thanks so much for stopping by! Your post from the link up was lovely <3
      All my love,

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up today with Coffee for Your Heart, friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for hosting this fantastic challenge! And for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  4. Found you through Holley's link up, although I wasn't able to link up today. I am already feeling the accusation of the enemy of where I've already fallen short this year. Thank you for the reminder that God is enough and that's all that matters. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to next week! You seem like a gem <3 Thank you so much for coming on by. He is good, and He is faithful - even when we fall short and are less than we think we should be; less than the world tells us we should be.
      Love and blessings,

      Delete
  5. Lydia,
    I am so blessed to read all of these wonderful encouraging blogs! And I am grateful that He is enough. Thank you for the blessing and the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatriz, you and me both! It is incredible to me, how He is working through the words of so many people. You're very welcome, and thank you for stopping by! Blessed by your sweet words. {love your name, by the way}

      Delete

Post a Comment

May this place be a home and a haven.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ann {Coffee for Your Heart}

You're Not Alone {Coffee for Your Heart}

Endings