Who Stays {an original poem}


I imagined him a thousand times

And every single time, he walked away

Saw it coming; never even cried

Experience said love could never stay



They couldn’t convince me otherwise

Oh, how I wanted to believe their song

But each time someone leaves, something dies

And they were the ones that proved themselves wrong



“I told you so … goodbye.”



Their words grew stale, then dissipated

‘Til the rare response that hurt more than silence

Cut deeper than anticipated

“Was,” “knew,” “had” – the bitter sting of past-tense



“Love” becomes “once loved,” “stay” becomes “long gone”

I lose all childlike faith in forever

Along with the instinct to hold on

“Wake up, heart! Wake up, wake up – whatever



What help were you anyway?”



I decided that I was worthless

And then You came for me, Lord – You sought me out

You chose me when I was still heartless

Your wild love opposing each fear and doubt



“I don’t want You!” I screamed night and day

Even running after all You hated

Then waited for You to walk away

In hot anguish, I waited … and waited



I could have waited ‘til the last bell

And You would have never abandoned me

I could have been a mascot for hell

And You would still pursue me ardently



Publicly



God, You’re not even ashamed of me

After all that I did to break Your heart

You want me, You want me, You want me

Yes, even when I am falling apart



Who is this God,

Who stays with the wayward?

And what is this love,

That stays in the first place?



I am undone

I cease to run

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ann {Coffee for Your Heart}

You're Not Alone {Coffee for Your Heart}

Endings